Monday, October 15, 2018
Sunday, October 14, 2018
This was one of my favorite releases of 2017. Then it was re-released 2018. So, it's like Sleep Meets Electric Wizard. With big long psychedelic passages.
Supergroup featuring Tool and Mastodon members that gets compared a lot to Jack Black/Tenacious D.
Saturday, October 13, 2018
Traditional late 70's early 80's Metal/NWOBHM . Really catchy relatively short song and to the point songs with some smokin' guitar playing.
Their previous album Relic was one of my favorite from 2017. This one is similar, but hasn't really hit me the same. This really good psychedelic/progressive stoner metal. Good stuff.
Big heavy rocking along the lines of Sleep. I like this one. Just three songs. Looking forward to more.
I would anybody reading this knows what Alice in Chains sounds like. This is a band trying to sound like that, and they do.
Very slow tunes with some tortured vocals. Horror Doom like bands I can't think of at the moment, but I like this.
Friday, October 12, 2018
Mostly laid back progressive jammy stoner, but they get heavier and uglier on a couple songs. Good stuff.
70's rockin' on the boogie rock end of things, but there's a lot to take in here and it's pretty easy goin' rockin'.
Man this is rock/metal first and foremost. It's catchy and there's there angular Voivod type guitar riffs and there's a 80's gothic element sneaking in there. Killer dark rock record.
The album starts out speedy NWOBHM style, but turns into heavy stoner metal, and sleazy bluesy metal and eventually returns to evil Thrash metal. Cool album.
The Great Nothing is the second album from Sweden’s Kingnomad. A 42 minute trip from the inner workings of your mind to the outer reaches of the universe. Opening with some Beach Boys-esque harmonies the tone is set for your upcoming flight. A journey of emotions, cautiousness, enthusiasm…you’re constantly propelled forward through space and time. There’s also foreboding and mystery. The vocals are soothing and always comforting. You never have to worry Kingnomad is always in control. Sweet production that serves the music perfectly. Progressive rocking that is a pleasure to listen to and never a chore. There’s Jazzy rock elements that are soothing and dreamy, you just along with. Kick back in the back and let Kingnomad do the interstellar driving.
I'm just throwing this together, it's a work in progress. It will maybe be refined at some point. No order. If I made a list of what I thought was "The Best" releases from 2018, it would be a different list than this one. These are my personal favorites.
- Weedpecker - III 1/5/2018
- Grajo - Slowgod II 1/15/2018
- Absent - Towards The Void 1/1/2018
- Crypt Trip - Rootstock 1/19/2018
- Clamfight - III 1/19/2018
- Wolftooth - Wolftooth 1/19/2018
- Absent - Towards The Void 1/1/2018
- Orphans of Doom - Strange Worlds / Fierce Gods 1/26/2018
- Dekonstuktor - No Way Back 1/4/2018
- Secrets of the Lost Empires - Secrets of the Lost Empires 1/23/18
- Hound The Wolves - Camera Obscura 2/14/2018
- Black Wizard - Livin' Oblivion 2/23/2018
- Weird Tales - The Fall 2/16/2018
- Pyraweed - Green Jinn 2/12/2018
- River Cult - Halcyon Days 2/9/2018
- The Atlas Moth - Coma Noir 2/9/2018
- Bible Black Tyrant - Regret Beyond Death 2/16/2018
- Blacklab - Under The Strawberry Moon 2/1/2018
- Marijiannah - Till Marijiannah 2/2018
- Coffin Torture - Dismal Planet 2/16/18
- Nest - Metempsychosis 3/2/18
- Eagle Twin - The Thundering Heard 3/30/18
- The Steams - Wild Ferment 3/22/18
- Pressor - Weird Things 3/12/2018
- Fungus Hill - Cosmic Construction on Proxima B 3/12/2018
- Sixes - Methistopheles 3/1/2018
- Sunnata - Outlands 3/23/2018
- Wytchgoat - Kult of the Wytchgoat 3/4/2018
- Green Druid - Ashen Blood 3/16/18
- Wykan - Solace 4/13/2018
- Blackwater Holylight - Blackwater Holylight 4/6/2018
- Messa - Feast For Water 4/6/2018
- Vomitheist - Graveyard Flesh Orgy 4/20/18
- Hashteroid - Hashteroid 4/20/2018
- RRRags - RRRags 4/21/18
- LLNN - Deads 4/ 27/2018
- Klandestin - Green Acid of the Last Century 4/20/2018
- Witchskull - Coven's Will 5/2018
- Electric Monolith - Resurrect The Dead 5/4/2018
- Mountain Dust - Seven Storms 5/18/2018
- Glanville - First Blood 5/4/2018
- Purple Kong - EP II (Crowned in Ouija) 5/9/18
- Wolvennest - Void 5/15/18
- Thou - The House Primordial 5/29/18
- Grave Lines - Fed Into The Nihilist Engine 5/4/18
- Alms - Act One 6/8/18
- ASG - Survive Sunrise 6/15/2018
- Potion - Woman of the Wand 6/19/18
- Red Sun Atacama - Licancabur 6/29/18
- Mystic Sons - Mystic Sons 6/1/18
- Bubak - Bubak's Revenge 6/13/18
- Modok - Evil/Seabeast 6/8/18
- Ripis - Shadow Dies In Morning Light 6/22/18
- Seedy Jesus - Polaris Oblique 6/4/18
- Khemmis - Desolation 6/22/18
- Yob - Our Raw Heart 6/8/18
- Thunder Horse - Thunder Horse 6/1/18
- Witchskull - Coven's Will 6/1/18
- Sandrider - Armada 7/20/2018
- Churchburn - None Shall Live...The Hymns of Misery 7/13/18
- Jack Harlon & Dead Crowes - Hymn 7/6/18
- Crazy Bull - The Past Is Today 7/3/18
- The Lion's Daughter - Future Cult 7/20/18
- Jack Harlon & The Dead Crows - Hymns 7/ /18
- Black Helium - Primitive Fuck 7/27/18
- Tripp Hammer and the Water Wheel - Something Strange & Sharp 7/28/18
- True Believer - My Satan 7/13/18
- Grave Disgrace - Sabbatharium 7/5/18
- Brimstone Coven - What Was And What Shall Be 7/21/18
- Chubby Thunderous Bad Kush Masters - Come and Chutney 7/13/18
- Hound - Settle Your Scores 7/29/18
- Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury 7/13/18
- Kingnomad - The Great Nothing 7/6/18
- Luger - Hellraisers of the Wasteland 7/27/18
- Maggot Heart - Dusk to Dusk 7/13/18
- Saint Karloff - All Heed The Black God 7/27/18
- Secret Cutter - Quantum Eraser 7/6/18
- Spaceslug - Eye The Tide 7/20/18
- Backwoods Payback - Future Slum 8/3/18
- Crystal Warlock - Gamma Trip 8/19/18
- Demonauta - Temaukel, The Spirit Before Time 8/13/18
- Forming The Void - Rift 8/17/18
- Haunt - Burst Into Flames 8/8/18
Tasty retro rock. Catchy and dark and rocking. Like Led Zeppelin with a Hammond. Does that make them like Deep Purple? A top release from 2018!
Retro Rock that's very good. Occult rock. Smooth, smooth harmonies. One of the best albums from 2018.
Thursday, October 11, 2018
Great album with great compositions and great playing. Bizarro lyrics. These guys are really creative and eclectic. It all really comes together on this album. When I try to think of other bands that are similar I can't really, except bands I don't really care for, something like Frank Zappa or some progressive rock bands from the 70's. B.O.C. really synthesize the weird, out there music of the early 70's. Fine tune and make it digestible. Even though it's complicated it's pleasant to listen to.
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
Eclectic rock from 1972. This is heavier and darker than the first album. Still not approaching the all out heaviness of Zeppelin or Sabbath...they're closer to Yes on this one. They're leaving behind the sillier psychedelic bits and getting into that progressive vibe. Well crafted songs that sound great and are performed great. Oh yeah, and scary creepy lyrics that are not sung in an intimidating way.
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
This album is really, you know, it's really early in the big picture. 1972! It's not full on heavy like Sabbath or Zeppelin. It's more eclectic with really good playing, lyrics and overall sounds. The production is a bit on the murky side. Closer to Bowie, The Doors, The Who, Pink Floyd... but not sounding like any of those bands. It's like half super awesome and half psychedelic weirdish rock that reminds me of a bunch of obscure early 70's bands that fell by the wayside. The difference is B.O.C. is a really good band. This album is very enjoyable to listen to.
Friday, September 28, 2018
Thursday, September 27, 2018
Friday, September 21, 2018
I remember when Can't Happen Here used to be in semi heavy rotation on MTV...these songs are pretty "commercial" and every time I'm about to give up on a song, for being too wimpy, here comes the guitar solo (or keyboard solo) and all of a sudden I'm diggin' it. Into the chorus and I'm like, all smiles. Then the whole process starts over on every song.