Thursday, November 15, 2018
Monday, November 12, 2018
I really like The Wake. I can get lost in it and realize how great it is. Also when I don't quite have time to get lost in it, like on my way to work...I think man, I feel like I've heard all this before on earlier Voivod albums, then I think, but this isn't even the same guitar player but it sounds just like it used to. I'm not saying this is good or bad and I expect Voivod to sound like Voivod. So, I'm glad they managed to make a great album this far into their careers.
Thursday, November 8, 2018
This album has more personality shining through from the band. The first two we're leaning towards generic, where this one has a unique personality and it's good!...relatively speaking. Awesome rhythms on the first song "Chasing Shadows". This album overall leans more towards the late 60's hippie vibes that rule the first two albums also. Sounding more like Procol Harum than Black Sabbath that of course is all about to change on Machine Head.
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Killer bluesy 70's influenced jam out heavy rockin. Vocals reminiscent of Ozzy from back when he could sing. Good stuff that feels fresh.
Recorded just three months after their debut, which had a bunch of covers, this has more covers. A neil Diamond song, Kentucky Woman, which seems to be an attempt to follow up on their hit single Hush. Like their debut this is mostly dated drawn out swirly psychedelic 60's sounding cliches. Only when Jon Lord takes off on the organ to you get a taste of the more forward thinking progressive band that Deep Purple would become. This isn't bad it isn't great either.
Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Heavily influenced by Hendrix, but what rock band wasn't heavily influenced by Hendrix in 1968. Then there's the organ that reminds me of all the sounds Vanilla Fudge made. I hear Jefferson Airplane the Who in there and other stuff. It's their debut and it's swirly psychedelic rock but thicker than most at the time. An enjoyable listen.
Saturday, November 3, 2018
Mixing 60's/70's rock with Latin rhythms and folky/rock vocals. Done in a thoroughly modern way. Seems like a very positive vibe coming from these guys. A lot of influences mixed in here. Sometimes they sing in Spanish sometimes English.
This isn't heavy, but it get's heavy. Late 60's folky progressive psychedelic jammy vibes, like they're getting ready to play at Woodstock. Killer album after killer album from Ohio's Druid.
I don't think I need to go and describe any subtle nuances this album has, it's Caveman Battle Doom.
Slow bluesy psychedelic rock. In the neighborhood of All Them Witches then sometimes the singer approaches Danzig like qualities. They remind me of Earthless without the excessive guitar soloing. There;s a lot of guitar playing too and by the end the singer is sounding like Chris Cornell.
Evil psychedelic jam out extended garage doom jams recorded somewhere below the street through a manhole cover. This one is not a much immediate satisfaction as is some of their earlier stuff, but it's winning me over. It's more "mature".
High on Fire Meets Eyehategod with more metal chugging and Phil Anselmo singing. Heavy duty stuff.
Friday, November 2, 2018
I don't think I've ever heard any All Them Witches music I didn't like. This one is pretty mellow over all. Blues inspired trippy mellow Pink Floyd isms involved. Good stuff man.
Killer 80's speed metal type stuff. At least one Merciful Fate cover, but I'm not so sure they are not all Meciful Fate covers! The King Diamond vibe is strong with this one. I love this release.
I was pretty surprised to learn that a new Pink Fairies album was released this year. I was even more surprised when I listened to it and it didn't suck. It's sort of like the Stooges or something. It's pretty laid back. I think this needs to be more aggressive. I like this, it's good. Not quite great. It feels a little too tired.
Occult rock like Uncle Acid meets a more retro rock Graveyard. I really like this album. Tasty keyboards.
Big ugly stoner Doom metal along the lines of sleep, but it gets a lot uglier like Eyehategod/Rwake. Good stuff. Gutter dragging.
I'm just throwing this together, it's a work in progress. It will maybe be refined at some point. No order. If I made a list of what I thought was "The Best" releases from 2018, it would be a different list than this one. These are my personal favorites.
- Weedpecker - III 1/5/2018
- Grajo - Slowgod II 1/15/2018
- Absent - Towards The Void 1/1/2018
- Crypt Trip - Rootstock 1/19/2018
- Clamfight - III 1/19/2018
- Wolftooth - Wolftooth 1/19/2018
- Absent - Towards The Void 1/1/2018
- Orphans of Doom - Strange Worlds / Fierce Gods 1/26/2018
- Dekonstuktor - No Way Back 1/4/2018
- Secrets of the Lost Empires - Secrets of the Lost Empires 1/23/18
- Hound The Wolves - Camera Obscura 2/14/2018
- Black Wizard - Livin' Oblivion 2/23/2018
- Weird Tales - The Fall 2/16/2018
- Pyraweed - Green Jinn 2/12/2018
- River Cult - Halcyon Days 2/9/2018
- The Atlas Moth - Coma Noir 2/9/2018
- Bible Black Tyrant - Regret Beyond Death 2/16/2018
- Blacklab - Under The Strawberry Moon 2/1/2018
- Marijiannah - Till Marijiannah 2/2018
- Coffin Torture - Dismal Planet 2/16/18
- Nest - Metempsychosis 3/2/18
- Eagle Twin - The Thundering Heard 3/30/18
- The Steams - Wild Ferment 3/22/18
- Pressor - Weird Things 3/12/2018
- Fungus Hill - Cosmic Construction on Proxima B 3/12/2018
- Sixes - Methistopheles 3/1/2018
- Sunnata - Outlands 3/23/2018
- Wytchgoat - Kult of the Wytchgoat 3/4/2018
- Green Druid - Ashen Blood 3/16/18
- Wykan - Solace 4/13/2018
- Blackwater Holylight - Blackwater Holylight 4/6/2018
- Messa - Feast For Water 4/6/2018
- Vomitheist - Graveyard Flesh Orgy 4/20/18
- Hashteroid - Hashteroid 4/20/2018
- RRRags - RRRags 4/21/18
- LLNN - Deads 4/ 27/2018
- Klandestin - Green Acid of the Last Century 4/20/2018
- Witchskull - Coven's Will 5/2018
- Electric Monolith - Resurrect The Dead 5/4/2018
- Mountain Dust - Seven Storms 5/18/2018
- Glanville - First Blood 5/4/2018
- Purple Kong - EP II (Crowned in Ouija) 5/9/18
- Wolvennest - Void 5/15/18
- Thou - The House Primordial 5/29/18
- Grave Lines - Fed Into The Nihilist Engine 5/4/18
- Alms - Act One 6/8/18
- ASG - Survive Sunrise 6/15/2018
- Potion - Woman of the Wand 6/19/18
- Red Sun Atacama - Licancabur 6/29/18
- Mystic Sons - Mystic Sons 6/1/18
- Bubak - Bubak's Revenge 6/13/18
- Modok - Evil/Seabeast 6/8/18
- Ripis - Shadow Dies In Morning Light 6/22/18
- Seedy Jesus - Polaris Oblique 6/4/18
- Khemmis - Desolation 6/22/18
- Yob - Our Raw Heart 6/8/18
- Thunder Horse - Thunder Horse 6/1/18
- Witchskull - Coven's Will 6/1/18
- Bishop Lake - When Lucifer Fell 6/1/18
- Sandrider - Armada 7/20/2018
- Churchburn - None Shall Live...The Hymns of Misery 7/13/18
- Jack Harlon & Dead Crowes - Hymn 7/6/18
- Crazy Bull - The Past Is Today 7/3/18
- The Lion's Daughter - Future Cult 7/20/18
- Jack Harlon & The Dead Crows - Hymns 7/ /18
- Black Helium - Primitive Fuck 7/27/18
- Tripp Hammer and the Water Wheel - Something Strange & Sharp 7/28/18
- True Believer - My Satan 7/13/18
- Grave Disgrace - Sabbatharium 7/5/18
- Brimstone Coven - What Was And What Shall Be 7/21/18
- Chubby Thunderous Bad Kush Masters - Come and Chutney 7/13/18
- Hound - Settle Your Scores 7/29/18
- Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury 7/13/18
- Kingnomad - The Great Nothing 7/6/18
- Luger - Hellraisers of the Wasteland 7/27/18
- Maggot Heart - Dusk to Dusk 7/13/18
- Saint Karloff - All Heed The Black God 7/27/18
- Secret Cutter - Quantum Eraser 7/6/18
- Spaceslug - Eye The Tide 7/20/18
- Backwoods Payback - Future Slum 8/3/18
- Crystal Warlock - Gamma Trip 8/19/18
- Demonauta - Temaukel, The Spirit Before Time 8/13/18
- Forming The Void - Rift 8/17/18
- Haunt - Burst Into Flames 8/8/18
- Mr. Plow - Maintain Radio Silence 8/10/18
- Greengo - Dabstep 8/10/18
- Swamp Hawk - Swamp Hawk 8/24/18
- Rebel Wizard - Voluptuous Worship of Rapture and Response 8/17/18
- Salkbuck - Cityslicker 8/20/18
- Sahara - II 8/3/18
- Grusom - II 8/31/18
- Rivers of Gore - Rivers of Gore 8/4/18
- Thou - Magus 8/31/18
- Goatmaster - Satanic Metal Assault 9/28/18
- Acolytes of Moros - The Wellspring 9/24/18
- All Them Witches - ATW 9/28/18
- Allfather - And We Will Be Desolation 9/7/18
- Alligator Rodeo - Ghost in the Machine 9/27/18
- Arteaga - Vol. III Necromance 9/23/18
- Canyon - MkII 9/14/18
- Conan - Existential Void Guardian 9/14/18
- Druid - The Seven Scrolls 9/9/18
- Famyne - Famyne
- Grand Reunion - In The Station 9/20/18
- GRRRMBA - Embodiment 9/6/18
- Magmakammer - Mindtripper 9/28/18
- Kvasir - The Hanged man and the Emperor 9/22/18
- Shogun - Infintet 9/14/18
- Spacemetal - Shroud 9/15/18
Thursday, November 1, 2018
Wednesday, October 31, 2018
Catchy tunes that sound more like 90's and Grunge than 2018 and Stoner/Doom. Good stuff that has fancy guitar sometimes.