Sunday, January 15, 2017
Saturday, January 14, 2017
Big huge heavy crushing marches with some spacey trippy sounds tossed in too. The thing that sets these guys apart is the vocals. There's layered female vocals that remind me of 90's bands. Almost like Curve, or My Bloody Valentine.
Friday, January 13, 2017
Friday, January 6, 2017
Mournful doom. Sorrowful vocals carry this solid doom album. I don't know the boundaries of gothic or funeral doom. If your a fan of SubRosa this falls in that ballpark.
This is stoner rock kinda along the lines of Brant Bjork, little bit like Alice in Chains, but not really. Vocals are kinda gruff and there's a bit of a southern tinge to this stoner rock. They're from Greece.
Thursday, January 5, 2017
Really heavy Hard rock vibe. Little bit of tough guy attitude. Like a biker...and Whiskey soaked vocals. Southern vibe.
Sludge. For fans of Eyehategod. They drag it out sometimes too, along the lines of Graves at Sea. There's some tasty solos happening once in a while.
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
I don't know why fans of the Melvins wouldn't like this. If you like Weedeaters stoney groove jams you also would like this. Searing guitars and big production.
Rockin' 70's jam out with keyboards. Really good. Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin heaviness and Goatsnake and Sleep.
Tuesday, January 3, 2017
Big, big, big heavy oppressing crush. An incredibly huge wall of crush, low as you can imagine. The whole album is 48 minutes, but pretty much each song sounds like it's 48 minutes long. They break it up with faster stuff. This album is probably in reality pretty well balanced as far as fast and slow are concerned, but the slow parts, it's like you're drowning.
- Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels
- Gorguts - Colored Sands
- Satan - Life Sentence
- Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
- Carcass - Surgical Steel
- Fuzz - Fuzz
- Danny Brown - Old
- In Solitude - Sister
- All Them Witches - Lightning at the Door
- Magic Circle - Magic Circle
- Mount Salem - Endless
- Brimstone Coven - II
- Goatess - Goatess
- Bloody Hammers - Spiritual Relics
- Witchgrave - Witchgrave
- Satan's Host - Virgin Sails
- King's Destroy - A Time of Hunting
- Summoner - Atlantian
- Jex Thoth - Blood Moon Rise
- VHOL - VHOL
- Blood Tsunami - For Faen!
- Portal - Vexovoid
- Bloody Hammers - Spiritual Relics
- 3rd Ear Experience - Boi
- Artillery - Legions
- In no particular order. This is just tossed together. Should be edited.
- Sun Kil Moon - Benji
- The Body - I Shall Die Here
- Doctor Smoke - The Witching Hour
- Brimstone Coven - Brimstone Coven
- Primal Fear - Delivering The Black
- Rainbows Are Free - Waves Ahead of the Ocean
- Behemoth - The Satanist
- Mastodon - Once More Round The Sun
- Yob - Clearing The Path To Ascend
- Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
- Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate
- Lord Mantis - Death Mask
- Purple Hill Witch - Purple Hill Witch
- Slomatics - Estron
In no particular order. This is just tossed together. Should be edited.
- Satan - Atom by Atom
- Pinkish Black - Bottom of the Morning
- Iron Maiden - Book of Souls
- Bittered - Hubris Aggression
- Sacri Monti - Sacri Monti
- Kinski - 7 (or 8)
- Battling Giants - Birth Death Reckoning
- All Them Witches - Dying Surfer Meets His Maker
- Fuzz - Fuzz II
- Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
- High On Fire - Luminiferious
- Black Sheep Wall - I'm Going To Kill Myself
- Enslaved - In Times
- Windhand - Griefs Infernal Flower
- Khemmis - Absolution
- Shepard - Stereolithic Riffalocalypse
- Blackout - Blackout
- Secrets of the Sky - Pathway
- Magic Circle - Journey Blind
- Weeed - Our Master Brings Us To The Black Master Sabbath
- Void of Sleep - New World Order
- Valkyrie - Shadows
- Serpent - Necromant
- Grim Van Doom - Grim Love
- Hangmans Chair - this is Not Supposed to be Positive.
- Mutoid Man - Bleeder
- Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
- Elder - Lore
- Abigale Williams - The Accuser
- Druid - Druid
- Demon Lung - A Dracula
- Ruby The Hatchet - Valley of the Snake
- VHOL - Deeper Than The Sky
Monday, January 2, 2017
Heavy straight ahead rockin'. Big riffs of hard rockin' and wailin' vocals. WAILING vocals. Thumbs up. I can appreciate how good this is, man though, these big wailing vocals that just go on and on. It's not something I want to go back and listen to. You know? This band is similar to Avatarium in that respect. This is good, but personally I don't really enjoy listening to it. EDIT - Since first hastily writing this review I've revisited this album and enjoy it quite a bit. It got this heavy heavy rocking with bluesy swaggering vocals over the top. This album is really in that zone. They put on a great show live as well.
2016Blues Rock, Heavy Psyche. Raw old school stoner. Killer album. One the best of 2016. Drawing from the same magic mushroom that Kyuss ingested and puked out oh so long ago. If you like Blue Cheer and things that rock out, this is for you.
2016When I play this record it sounds like the bottom end is destroying my speakers. The kick drum seems to be ripping the cone apart from the coil. Which is funny because the vocals have a pretty mellow vibe to them. When that guy is singing it's pretty disarming. and that's the whole trick here. The duality. Not that there's any tricks involved her, and that wouldn't be the only one, because there's a lot of awesome things going on here from this three piece. This is a great album one of my very favorites released this year. If I had to pick an album of the year this is for sure in the top two or three, perhaps even the best. I'm talking about sheer enjoyment I've received. The amount of time I've spent listening to this. Mostly I've listened to this in the car. When I play the record at home it sounds like my speakers are being eaten alive by a garbage truck from the inside out.
Total eerie outer space trippy heavy psychedelic moon base battle magic. My poor speakers. The songs can switch from a carnival-esq playfulness to crushing marches to the trippiest outer space sci fi adventure, and back again. Seamlessly. There is a smoothness here. A really soothing smoothness the blends right in with some of the heaviest grooves you could ask for.
Sunday, January 1, 2017
Now, this drummer rocks out doesn't he!? High energy Stoner rock with soulful vocals. You might be reminded of Dozer. Great songs, great band! One of the best releases of 2016.
2016Well it's a really beefed up version of the Black Crowes now isn't it? This is get up and shake your ass and have a good time party rock out.
70's rock! Proggy but stoney rockin'. There's a Witchcraft/Uriah Heap type of thing going on up in here. There's a pretty strong early Scorpions vibe driving this thing.
Heavy slowish mid tempo wall of crushing doom. A lot of slow plodding punishment.
In the Sleep/Conan/early Melvins but with more zing, realm of things.
Easy going stoner like Witchcraft. Mello stuff. Fair bit of Pink Floyd-isms happening here and there.