Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kiss - Unmasked



1980
Relatively speaking this is not so bad pop rock. I bought this when it was new and I was a youngster. I pretty much thought it didn't stand up to their earlier stuff, and it doesn't, but compared to the stuff that came after this... it's not too bad. The songs are mostly kinda catchy. I think they're leaning more towards bands like Devo, Blondie,The Knack...really lightweight stuff, but bigger. By this time I had moved on to Van Halen, AC/DC, Judas Priest ect. A couple songs are dangerously close to reminding me of Disco. Some of the styles of guitar playing on here doesn't sound like Kiss at all...and it's probably not.

Paul gets to sing one of the best couple lines.
"I feel you deep inside of me,
Beating up against my heart"

I think this album works as a whole. I try not to dissect it song by song. I think the weaker songs help to carry the thing along overall I think it's a fun album.

From what I understand, they all hated Peters solo album, but to keep Peter happy they brought in Vini Poncia, who produced Peter's solo album to produce Dynasty. By the time they get to Unmasked Peter is out of the picture, but they still bring in Poncia not only to produce, but co-write eight of the songs on here. I'm guessing since Dynasty went platinum they didn't want to mess with things too much. Poncia co-wrote I Was Made For Love You and Sure Know Something, so I suppose it was a good move. Poncia also co-wrote I Was Made For Dancing with Leo Sayer, so bring this guy on board wouldn't be a move towards their rock roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment