Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Paul Stanley - Paul Stanley

1978
      Opener is pretty awesome. Tonight You Belong To Me. This song is not to far away from something like I Stole Your Love, but much more dramatic. I would say this is one of the very best Kiss songs of the 70's. Certainly better than half the songs of each previous record with much better production.
     Move On. I don't know, it's pretty cool I guess. I like the dramatic slow vocal parts. Catchy, but getting away from the straight ahead hard rockin of earlier Kiss albums.
   Then one...I forget.
   Wouldn't you like to know me. Big production precursor to Joan Jett's I Love Rock and Roll, but more balladry.
     This song and the one earlier, that I forgot remind me of Shandi that would come later. This one is pretty dramatic. Together As One. Then it gets Big, like Queen or Zeppelin or something. Then quiet again. and it's like you're out on the plains. Reminiscing. Then BIG! Bluesy guitar.  Sheeeout. Big production of drama! It's like the outro of Stairway to Heaven. Almost. 
     Next song starts out like Mr. Speed. then sounds like the upcoming Sure Know Something. And sounding very pop rock for the late 70's. Pretty catchy.
     Next song sounds like a 70's TV show theme/coffee commercial. Sad.
     Love in Chains is a rocker, Hendrix style. Kind of. Really ready for the radio and hinting at riffing that would show up Lick It Up Era. 
     This is the second best solo album and really is just as good as anything Kiss had done since Destroyer.

     This album isn't very far away from anything Kiss had done up to this point. Which would lead you to believe he was pretty much in charge and the band was going in the direction he wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment